ISSA data protection policy
Brief and purpose
Our Data Protection policy refers to the International Shiloh Shepherd Alliance’s commitment to treat information of volunteers, customers, club members or other interested parties with the utmost care and confidentiality.
With this policy we ensure that the company behaves in a fair and moral manner concerning the gathering, storing and handling of data. This process will be carried out with transparency and respect towards the rights of individuals who entrust us with their information.
This policy applies to all parties (volunteers, club members, puppy buyers, breeders, etc.) who provide any amount of information to the company or its representatives. The policy will be followed by all ISSA, Inc. volunteers in a position to reference this data regularly or occasionally. This includes Board members such as our Member Coordinator and Secretary; volunteer committee heads such as our Show/Events coordinator who may need to inform members of upcoming events; and Registry personnel such as the Wardens and Registrars who access mailing information or email addresses when sending out health surveys, certificates, or reports.
The International Shiloh Shepherd Alliance, Inc. will need to obtain and process information of people in line with its business purposes and in accordance with the goals laid out in the ISSA Constitution. The information may refer to any offline or online information that makes a person identifiable such as names, addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, and usernames and passwords should ISSA establish a forum community or breeder portal which requires such.
ISSA, Inc. commits to collect this information in a transparent way and only with the full cooperation and knowledge of interested parties. Once this information is available to the company, the following rules are mandatory:
- The data will be collected fairly and for lawful purposes only
- The data will be processed by the company within its legal and moral boundaries
- The data will not be stored for more than the specified amount of time
- The data will be accurate and kept up-to-date
- The data will not be distributed to any party other than the ones agreed upon by the owner of the data (exempting legitimate requests from law enforcement authorities)
- The data will not be transferred to organizations, states or countries that do not have adequate data protection policies
- The data will not be communicated informally
- The data will be protected against any unauthorized or illegal access by internal or external parties
In addition to ways of handling the data, the International Shiloh Shepherd Alliance has direct obligations towards people to whom the data belongs. Specifically, ISSA, Inc. must:
- Let people know which of their data is collected
- Inform people about how their data will be processed
- Inform people about who has access to their information
- Allow people to request the modification, erasing, reduction or correction of the data contained in the company’s databases
- Have provisions in cases of lost, corrupted or compromised data
To exercise data protection, ISSA, Inc. is committed to:
- Develop transparent data collection procedures. We collect your data via our club membership application, and via registry documents for collecting data on dogs and litters. All of the above utilize Google Forms for collection.
- Establish data protection practices (document shredding, secure locks, data encryption, frequent backups, access authorization etc.) as needed for business operations.
- Utilize secure networks to protect online data from cyberattacks. Currently ISSA does not maintain any online data storage point other than the Google forms collection process. Data is then stored locally and securely with the appropriate Board Members, and the Registry personnel.
- Include contract clauses or communicate statements on how data will be handled, such as the clause in our membership application referring you to this document.
- Inform individuals of the amount of time that their data will be preserved. For club members, ISSA, Inc. can only keep your data as long as you are a member of the club. Should you leave the club, your personal data will be erased to preserve your privacy. For registry business, your information (name, address, and email) is retained as a part of your dog’s records in our registry database.
- Ensure that this policy can be publicly accessed. You can always find this document to refer to here on our website.
- Ensure all concerned parties have read the policy and adhere to it.
- Train volunteers in online privacy and security measures.
- ISSA does not keep any data classed as sensitive, such as credit card numbers or social security numbers. The data we keep includes your name, address, email address, phone number, and details about your dogs for our records. In the future we may also collect forum or website IDs and passwords as necessary, should we establish a need for such.
- If you feel that your data may have been misused by organization personnel, please contact our Member Coordinator immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All principles described in this policy must be strictly followed. A breach of data protection guidelines will invoke disciplinary action.